Sunday, March 15, 2009

Look Back And Laugh

I think, sometimes, that the most difficult truth that any of us ever have to face is the fact that the "right" thing will always happen.

We may not know WHY something that happened was "right" until years after the fact, but I do believe that if you listen to the universe, this realization will eventually hit you.

Maybe you didn't get the job you wanted, or the guy you wanted, or hell, even that pair of shoes you wanted (extremely rare, but it does happen) and you're pissed and hurt and don't understand it.  Eventually, though, you will.  You will understand, someday.

Those words are of no comfort whatsoever. 

I know that the words offer no comfort, because I've been asking "Why?" for a couple of years now (specifically "Why am I so damn stupid?"), and, you'd think an answer would get thrown my way, but so far, it hasn't.  Telling myself that I'll know 'someday' doesn't make me feel like less of an idiot today.  Telling yourself that you didn't get the job or the guy or whatever because there is something better waiting for you out there, doesn't make you feel good, and won't make you feel good until, well, something better shows up.  Don't bother checking your calendar--we have no idea when that will be.

Carol Allen likes to say, "Rejection is God's protection".  I like that--it helps.  Maybe that thing you wanted turned out to be something completely different from what you thought, and it's not good, and one day you'll be damn glad you didn't get stuck with it.  Maybe the company you wanted to work for will go belly-up amid rumors and scandal.  Maybe the guy you wanted will do the same.  Maybe the shoes will turn out to be the Edsel of the clothing design world.

Aren't you lucky you dodged that bullet?


Right now, I am very much looking forward to one day looking back on this and laughing...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are loosely monitored by lazy blog owner.