Thursday, May 23, 2019

Mundane

Right now I am imagining my friend Barb and her partner Kathy picking out clothes for her to wear to her own funeral.

I am picturing her making decisions about how she wants the whole thing to go down.


On the one hand...what a gift. To have a bit of time, and have a say in it.


On the other hand...fuck. Who would have thought at the age of 55, this is the shit you have to consider?


She will be leaving the hospital soon and going home, with hospice. Probably going home for the last time, to the little house on 40th that she and Kathy have shared for 20 years. I can see Kathy standing in the living room, with Barb sitting on the sofa. Kathy is holding up shirts and Barb saying "yes" or "no" to them, like it was any other occasion where she had to find something to wear.

That's what's in my head.


Barb knows the funeral business. She worked in it for many years. She knows the people who will care for her body after the life has left it. She knows the medical examiner and the funeral directors and the people who cash the checks. She knows the numbers to call for death certificates and various other paperwork required by law. She knows dumb stuff like, what happens to jewelry if you are cremated, and, if you can wear polyester. (I dunno, and, I dunno why I am even curious...)

The mundane stuff of her job, she is now applying to her life in the most unexpected way.


It was the middle of March when the hospitalizations started. By the middle of June it may be over.

An absolutely stunning time-line. I can't imagine what I would do, if it was me. This is the strength of the dying. The calm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are loosely monitored by lazy blog owner.